Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Something to think about

In church lately we have been learning about striving for holiness.

Pretty much everyone has heard 1 Corinthians 13 at some point, it's usually recited at weddings.

Today in Women's Bible study, we were challenged to put our own name in the text where the word love appeared. It was very convicting.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8a

Rebecca is patient, Rebecca is kind. Rebecca does not envy, Rebecca does not boast, Rebecca is not proud. Rebecca is not rude, Rebecca is not self-seeking, Rebecca is not easily angered, Rebecca keeps no record of wrongs. Rebecca does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. Rebecca always protects, Rebecca always trusts, Rebecca always hopes, Rebecca always perseveres. Rebecca never fails.

There isn't one thing listed there that I'm not constantly struggling with! There is major room for improvement in each of these areas of my life. I fail daily in my fight to "be holy for He is holy". (1 Peter 1:16)

I'm going to print out this passage of scripture with my name in it and try and read it every day to remind myself what God's standard of holiness is for my life and strive for that! :)

2 comments:

Chiara said...

What a great idea! I think I'll steal that idea and do the same. I really liked the speaker this morning too. I wish we had more time to talk about application in our small groups.

Kelly @ The Nourishing Home said...

WOW! I love that! What a great way to apply the scripture to yourself directly. It really is convicting. Thanks for sharing this great idea for making God's Word even more effective in our lives!