Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My sister, Rose



Yesterday, my sister Rosemary turned 24. I wanted to take a moment to talk about how I'm so proud of the woman she's becoming :)

Almost 2 years ago (this May) she married her High School sweetheart Nathan. Shortly after that, she moved to a foreign land, Germany to begin their life together. She's been living there for over a year now. Nathan is deployed currently in Iraq but she's been a pillar of strength. She found a great job working on base with preschoolers, one of her favorite ages. She does a great job :)

My sister and I are hardly alike at all, night and day! we've had our ups and downs but we're family and I'm so happy she's in my life. I can learn a lot from my sister. Rose has a good heart. If/whenever we fight or have a disagreement, she's always the first to apologize or make things right, even when she didn't start it or cause it or was in the wrong! She's very selfless, wanting to help others wherever there's a need, great at putting others above herself. These are two things I struggle with! She also is very committed. Once she makes up her mind to do something, she's 100% about it. She's also great at keeping in touch with me. Keeping up with the two kids, I can get pretty awful at writing or calling people. Rosemary remembers every date, every birthday, every anniversary and is great at sending cards, letters, calling, etc! She's also very independent.

I admire her for moving across the World to a foreign Country where she didn't know anyone besides her husband and had a good attitude about doing it too! This was way different from me. When Robby and I got married, the first 3 years we spent living less than 10 minutes away from my parents house and saw them usually 3 times a week. That changed a lot when we decided to move to Orange County. The thought of moving 50 miles away from everything I knew was a little scary for me!

I still remember when we brought Rose home from the hospital. We had a lot of fun growing up, playing with dolls, dressing in twin dresses, roller blading, bike riding, making "fast food" mud pies! We also loved torturing our little brother Phil and making Holly get things for us since she was the baby! We have a lot of good memories together!

Happy birthday sis. I love you :)

2 comments:

Chiara said...

I love how you both support one another! So wonderful! Happy Birthday, Rose.

Kelly @ The Nourishing Home said...

Happy birthday to your sis! I believe we learn so much about how to relate to people from our siblings and in time we really come to appreciate them for who they are! I have a younger brother, who I used to call my "bother." I love him, but he sure knew how to push my buttons when we were young. I know that I learned a lot about boys, and how to be patient, from life with my brother. He is an important part of my life even though we are miles apart. Thanks for sharing this post, it's inspired me to go give my bro a call and tell him I love him!